Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Corporate America

I just read an article about how a mob laid-off workers in India killed their CEO. Let that sink in for a minute. Can you believe how horrible people are sometimes? I mean, I know you lost your job, maybe the CEO was an ass, but that's NO reason to kill him! I was laid off back in February. It sucked, but at the same time, I was happy after I realized that it was all for a reason. I wasn't being creative enough and I was only staying there because of the people. I saw that this was exactly what I needed; some much needed time off and a new beginning.

With those 4 weeks off, I utilized my time well. I sent out lots of resumes, I did a lot of freelance work and I slept in.. a lot :) The 4th week of unemployment, I got hired on at the first place I sent my resume to and interviewed. But before I knew that would happen, I actually decided to walk down a completely different road in my life as well. I decided to say yes to the Mary Kay opportunity. I had the opportunity offered to me a few times and I declined politely every time, claiming I was 'too busy' to do that. What I've learned is that busy people will ALWAYS be busy. I love to be busy. When I said 'no' the first time, I was just as busy as when I said 'yes' the 4th time she asked me. And that was about 4 months later. Being busy is perfect for having a career with Mary Kay. You have many circles of people to build your business with. Not many people realize this. You fit Mary Kay in your life where you can.

Reading that article today about the murdered CEO, getting laid off at my job without any warning and not to mention the nightmares I have about corporate America just confirms that a career with Mary Kay is something I see in my future. That will give me the freedom to stay at home and do my artwork. Not to mention that Mary Kay is one of the 3 recession-proof industries in the world. The other 2 are alcohol/cigarettes and entertainment. Women will always wash their face and put some sort of makeup on. Did you know that in the 80's, when there was a huge recession in the economy, Mary Kay was at its peak. It was actually doing wonderfully well in an economy that was failing. Mary Kay Ash started the company in the 60's as a wig company. When she realized that wigs were not recession proof, at least not as recession proof as cosmetics, she starting selling makeup. And so we have Mary Kay Cosmetics today, 45 years later.

I know that in my future, even though I have a Graphic Design degree, I want to pursue my career with Mary Kay. I will be driving that pink Cadillac someday and I won't have to worry about making sure I have enough money for rent this month.

I can have a career in my art. That I know will happen. Someday I'll get my big break and have artwork hanging in a restaurant or my own gallery and hopefully that's what I'll be known for. It's my passion and I'll do whatever it takes to get it out there. Short term sacrifices for long term success.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

gorgeous and dedicated. you'll aspire to the goals you set.