Tuesday, September 30, 2008

All I'm asking for is a little respect

Last night, I was making phone calls for Mary Kay, booking new customers. I had 13 names to call, and even though I was tired and the couch looked so comfy, I sat at my desk and called every one of those names. I could tell my discipline was starting to kick in. I got a lot of answering machines, but I got 4 new bookings and that’s enough to put a smile on my face.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from being involved with Mary Kay, and ultimately, just great parenting on my mom and dad’s part, it’s to respect people. And to treat them as I would like to be treated. Thankfully, Mary Kay Ash founded her company on the Golden Rule, and she also taught us that our lives should be in this order: Faith first, Family second, Career third. A week or so ago, I was making more booking calls, and 2 girls scheduled facials with me. I had them booked, and I told them how every thing would play out. When I called to confirm with them, they never picked up. Their facials are this week, and still no word. It’s just rude that they would choose to ignore my phone call and messages. It will not hurt my feelings if they decided to cancel. But please let me know, so I can open that time slot back up for someone who is more willing.

I wish more people had respect today. Whatever happened to treating people with courtesy and kindness? I make sure I do that every single day of my life, and you know what? It makes me happy to make other people happy. At the end of the day, I think back at my actions throughout the day. It makes me smile to know that I made someone else smile that day. If you have a positive outlook on life, I truly believe that it feeds into your everyday life and actions. You become like the 5 people you hang around, so choose them wisely. So if you’re hanging around cynic, pessimistic people all the time, you yourself will become cynic and pessimistic. But if you have a positive attitude and demeanor, one day, it’ll feed into the people around you.

Most people that know me, know that I can’t stand when someone doesn’t RSVP to an invite to something. I recently was invited to a party, that asked for an RSVP- regrets only. Well, the invite got lost in the jumble of papers on my counter, and I had forgotten all about it. I couldn’t make it to the party and I didn’t RSVP. I have to apologize to her, because it was wrong of me to not reply. No matter the reason. It’s plain common courtesy to RSVP or just give people the respect they deserve.

I’ve preached, hollered, and screamed about this stuff a thousand times over. Unfortunately the only way people will start to act on common courtesy and respect others is if you yourself set an example. That is what I do. Try to set examples for others, so that someday they’ll see that it’s just plain common courtesy to respect others and treat them how you want to be treated.

The point I’m trying to make is that, while making my booking calls last night, 2 of the women I had called, and left messages for called me back, like I had kindly asked them to. I couldn’t have been happier. They took the time out of their night to take a chance, call me back and book a facial with me. And I will take care of them and their skin, no matter if they buy from me or not. I finally had an ‘ah-ha!’ moment and realized, that this business is not about me. It’s not about the money. It’s about giving confidence to women who may not have it. It’s giving hope to women who cannot find it. It’s giving them a reason to become independent and have a way to reach their dreams. Whatever your goals may be, shoot for the moon, if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.

Remember, you were born an original. Don’t die a copy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i am original.

Mary said...

don't worry, nobody called with regrets and you weren't the only one who didn't come...just make sure you rsvp for the wedding! lol :)